Thursday, October 6, 2011

Glazing transparent veils of color


Music for this session: Blood music and the whisper of hemoglobin along the inside of my veins. The slow pace of breath. Snatches of memory and sexual fantasy. 

Here I have gone over the B&W figure with a transparent mix of burnt sienna and ultramarine. Its crazy how different it looks than if I had painted the same color in the original underpainting. The old masters called it velatura. Veils of transparent color. See Madeline Von Foesters website for a complete explanation: http://www.madelinevonfoerster.com.
      I worked on the machines behind him as well. I have  painted the other figures head for the past three days, scrapped it all off each time, finally realized I needed to move to another area. Sometimes its best to let go of a problem and come back to it. Discretion is the better part of valor.

No comments:

Post a Comment