Saturday, September 24, 2011

365 days of painting

365 days of painting
Saturday, September 10, 2011 11:29:24 PM
Music for this session: Syd Barret Pandora station.
OK. I have two shows in the next 12 months. It will take me about 5-6 months to paint enough new work for each show.  This is the first piece in process. I am using images that are related to ideas of progress in history and philosophy.  The photo collage is how I usually begin. I either work in Photoshop or make a physical collage.

Then I project and trace the image without too much detail. I add details and work directly from the photos with pencil to finish the drawing.
I always work from back to front, leaving each under layer wet so I can work the top layers into the paint as I progress. 


I should probably switch to acrylic paint for health reasons! I, alas, cannot. I am addicted to the feel of oils and the richness of the colors. Always take precautions kids! I wear gloves, a smock, wash my hands constantly, have a fan blowing fresh air on me , and try to minimize my use of petroleum distillate thinner. Don’t lick your paint brush.
 I'll post tomorrow night my progress and thoughts on this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment