Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Add a little black to all your colors

I am having a little bit of a meltdown. Some combination of the seasonal changes, impending holiday stress, and the huge acres of canvas I have committed to paint for upcoming shows has given me pretty awful anxiety attacks. I am working right through them but it feels pretty grim here in my studio. I don't understand why they happen or how to get over this, but I am still working and that is enough for now.

 I had an amazing photo shoot a month or so ago and am starting to use the photos in this painting.
 

 I then make a black and white scale mock-up to see how it will look full-size, and to use for tracing the image onto canvas.





Then I transfer the drawing.
 




I am adding a little black to all my colors, to grey them a bit, to unify them, and because I am so fucking depressed these days.



Lots of looseness at this stage, just sploshing paint and blocking in shapes.




Now I am starting to paint the figures and its really fucking hard as always. It gets better when the figures have more going on in them, but for now I get pretty frustrated easily. I guess a lot of that is my current 
state of enervation. It will pass soon. I just want to be quiet and peaceful and not bother anyone and paint. Is that too much to fucking ask for?
 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, gothiest blog post from you yet. At least the painting looks good--that's all that matters, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Painting looks amazing so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay i am waiting for you to finish posting pictures of this painting so i can see how it is going to turn out?

    ReplyDelete